Sustainable Design Example
Here’s what I think to be a fantastic example of design thinking, rather sustainable design thinking. I came across this company via Treehugger. Similar to Nau, Ecosystems Brand incorporates sustainable design in to every facet of its product, from its design to the the method of shipping. As Treehugger states, the company strives to “provide eco-effective products that generate positive effects on the ecology, economy and social equity of the system they inhabit”. Here are the five steps illustrated on the Ecosystems Brand website describing their “cycle of responsibility”:
1. Responsibility development from start with acquisition and use of sustainable materials.
2. Automated manufacturing of product within region for large orders minimizing fuel waste.
3. Uses flat-pack shipping method to reduce packaging time and amount of material used.
4. Tool-free, snap-together assembly reduces time and monetary costs of assembly.
5. No wastage of product materials at end of first life as product materials are either recycled or reclaimed.
(Picture excerpted form Ecosystems Brand website)